UP stands for UPDATED! These units are updated with a 3 way solenoid valve, adjustable overpressure valve, and aluminum tamper. The boldest outline, a wink to the past and a best to the future. The Dream UP Versatile espresso and cappuccino machine is the flagship of the Ascaso line. Its classic retro look is combined with the best that modern technology has to offer in a traditional style machine.
This series is dubbed the "Versatile" machine because the Dream UP Versatile machines can use either ground coffee or proportioned single serving espresso pods, also known or labeled as E.S.E.. This offers a lot of versatility in the way you brew your coffee or espresso. Not only does this machine look great in any kitchen, but it also allows you to make cafe quality espresso drinks, lattes, cappuccino, and cafe mochas.
We like the Ascaso Dream UP espresso machine for the internal design, as well. We evaluated the Ascaso line in the 2003/2004 time frame, and at that time, these machines were very anemic in the steaming department. One reason was the lack of the brass boiler that is now part of this machine.
We also like the aluminum body! Unlike other machines made of steel and painted enamel, the Ascaso Dream UP has no chance of rusting. Remember, we are using water and steam to make our favorite drinks, so steel machines will rust at some point.
In addition, the heating element is on the outside of the boiler. The benefit to this is that if your boiler runs out of water, there is very little chance of damaging the heating element - which occurs on machines with the heating element on the inside of the boiler. This feature is really important in an office environment!
- Simple to Use Controls - Flip on the center power switch to begin heating up the boiler. Two more professional grade rocker switches now let you control the steam function (far left) and the coffee brew control (far right). A series of indicator lights inform you when the machine is powered up, and when it is at the proper temperature for either brewing espresso or frothing milk.
- Temperature Gauge - The front mounted temperature gauge monitors the temperature of the boiler in both coffee mode and steam mode. read in Celsius.
Frothing Tip for Perfect Foam - Like magic, the wand will make perfect foam. In an instant, the steam wand converts the milk in your 12 or 20 oz. frothing pitcher to lovely foam for lattes and cappuccinos. Mounted on a swivel joint, the stainless steel steam wand conveniently swings aside and clean up is a snap. When frothing milk with this machine, please make sure to have the little hole in the frothing adapter positioned at the top level of the milk. Doing it this way will help aerate the milk froth.
- Quality Brewing Group - The grouphead is made of chrome plated brass. Designed after Ascaso's commercial espresso machines, the Dream UP group head evenly distributes heat and reduces hotspots for more temperature consistent espresso. It has also been designed to evenly distribute water across the coffee grounds for a better extraction.
- Heavy Duty Coffee Holders and Filter Baskets - Keeping with the tradition of using only commercial grade components, the Dream UP uses heavy-duty chrome plated brass coffee holders, which feature a rugged plastic handle. The same coffee holder is used for ground coffee and espresso pods. Single shot and double shot 57 mm diameter stainless steel filter baskets are included for ground coffee, and there is a pod basket for single dose ESE pods. The double shot size baskets allow you to use more ground coffee per serving for stronger espresso or cups of coffee.
- 48 oz. Water Tank - The removable water reservoir, equipped with a water level indicator, can be filled while operating or taken out and filled at the faucet. The water reservoir is located in the lower section of the machine right behind the grouphead, and the water reservoir can be removed from the right hand side - just behind the steam wand.
- 16 BAR Water Pump - The secret to a great espresso is a water pump that has the power to force water through the coffee grounds to extract the full flavor from the coffee. No worries here, you have more than enough pressure to extract the best of what your coffee has to offer.
- Drip and Cup Tray, Plus Cup Heater - The Dream UP has a polished stainless steel drip pan and chrome plated steel cup try, both easy to remove and clean. A unique scratch resistant cup-warming surface on the top of the machine lets you keep your espresso cups warm so your freshly brewed espresso does not cool too quickly once it hits the cup.
- Brass Boiler - Made of heat distributing brass, this boiler can get up to temperature quickly and stay there, with a fast recycling time. Two thermostats control the temperature for espresso and for steam, and a third that specifically monitors the boiler to protect it from overheating if the machine is left unattended for long periods.
- Construction with Longevity In Mind - The Dream UP is constructed of corrosion resistant aluminum for extra long life. The aluminum is then finished in a chip resistant enamel paint. Unlike most espresso machines in this class that are made of steel, the Dream UP will not rust thanks to the aluminum body. All of components that make up the construction are designed for long life and low maintenance.
- Instructional manual included: The manual will state that some accessories (i.e. pod handle) are included with the machine. This is a universaL worldwide manual that encompasses all different configurations of this machine. Please note that the only accessories included are the ones listed on this web page.
Measurements: 9.6" W x 13.6" H x 11" D
Tamper size: 57mm
Water tank: 1.3 liters
Weight: 17.2 lbs.
Pump Pressure: 16 bar
Coffee thermostat: Boiler 100º / Thermoblock 95º
Steam thermostat 140º+ Safety Thermofuse
Steam pipe protector / Cappuccino/hot water pipe
Brass portafilter holder: 58mm
Coffee Tamper: removable arm
S-1 Autoprime valve
Three prong plug
Warranty: One year parts and labor limited to manufacturer's defect.
- Polished Aluminum Models Only - A few customers have complained about stains on the aluminum sections of the body. These parts are very delicate to certain types of water. It's very important not to expose this machine to humidity. If spots appear, we recommend cleaning with alcohol or a high quality aluminum polish cleaner.
- The instructional manuals for Ascaso are printed for worldwide distribution and covers almost every model produced worldwide. With this in mind, there may be features, accessories, or colors available in Ascaso equipment in other countries, but not available in our models produced for the United States.
- This machine can only use single dose E.S.E. (easy serving espresso) pods. Double pods and regular coffee pods will not fit in this machine.